My First Mama Bear Moment

Jessie sporting her new bows from Jaylyn

New Jaylyn Bows

I love Jessie's hair.  And I love to put it in piggy tails.  And I've waited a very long time for my own child so that I can have a say about her appearance.  So, with that in mind, please allow me to document/ vent....

When I teach my Wednesday circuit class Jessie spends a couple hours with her daddy at work.  She has many admirers at the Forest Service and seems to be the highlight of the lunch room each week.  They are very sweet to her and spend a lot of their time taking care of her and snuggling her during their lunch breaks.  And this works out very well for all of us.    However, one of the jokes around the lunch table is that Jessie is too girlie, wears too much pink and has "girlie pig tails" which, I guess are a bad thing in Forest Service land.  To me, this was all fine, harmless, and their way of making conversation (because Jessie's hair is often the topic of conversation wherever we go).  I even made special effort to send her in green, blue, and red - no pink for quite a while.  Until last Wednesday. 

But this week the joking went a little too far.  Jessie came home with her hair messy and tucked into her hooded sweatshirt - no pig tails.  When I asked about it I found out that someone, other than Reid, had taken them out....Then I learned that the person who intentionally removed them (because they were not her preference) used scissors to take them out! 

I know that this is not a big deal, the end of the world, or something to take offense to, but it really bugged me that they would take it that far!  What could have happened if Jessie had turned her head while they were CUTTING her rubber bands out of her pig tails?  To clarify, He hair didn't get messed up or fall out of the rubber bands.  They didn't even just pull them out of her hair.....they took scissors to them because they wanted to.   

It bugged me so much that I had to say something........and say something I did.  I THINK I was kind.  I hope I wasn't rude or overbearing, and most of all, I hope I didn't embarrass Reid or the people at the Forest Service.  They really are nice people and I find it endearing the way they flock to her when we walk in the door. 

Not my best moment, but I have now gained a little understanding about motherhood.......
Here's to hoping that's a good thing right?

No comments:

Post a Comment